2/21/08

What’s the Big Problem in the Little Apple?

Alright K-state fans you’re not going to like this, but don’t hate me-I’m just keeping it real.

So, I’m sitting in my living room last night watching the end of NU-KSU game and I hear a strange, but faint sound so I mute the volume for a closer listen. At first, I think maybe it’s just the wind blowing through the trees, and then I realize it’s actually a collective wail coming from Manhattan, KS. I’m listening closely and trying to make out the words that are laced with obscenities and disbelief, and all I can make out is someone saying, “Are you F-in kidding me?”

OK, not really. I couldn’t hear that, but I can only imagine what K-State followers were thinking. Here the K-State basketball program finally has some hope. They finally have some real talent, with arguably one of the best front court tandems in college basketball with Beasley and Walker, the Bramlage curse is off their back with the win over KU Jan. 30th, they have a new and passionate coach, a top 25 ranking, and they are shooting for a first place tie in the Big XII race playing lowly Nebraska…so, what went wrong?

Here’s my take. It’s all about individuality, egos and chemistry. I’m not kidding. We are watching 2 incredibly talented athletes when we watch Bill Walker and Michael Beasley, but we are also watching a couple self-centered individuals that don’t blend well with their teammates. We have seen what kind of numbers they can put up individually, but basketball is a team sport, and individuality will only get you so far.

I thought maybe we really saw what Bill Walker was all about last night. His aggressive play and inability to control his emotions I think cost K-state that game last night. I’m not trying to pick on him, but I’ve seen this play from him in previous games (the elbow to Mario Chalmers against KU immediately comes to mind. He was subsequently yanked from the game at that point too).

I hate to say it, but I’m also seeing a repetitive pattern with Mike Beasley. This is the third road game in a row (including the road losses to Mizzou and Texas Tech), when the cameras have panned in on Beasley jawing at his own teammates. I could just sense his “What the F-attitude” that his teammates weren’t performing to the level that he wanted. Some would say that’s leadership. I think leadership includes constructive criticism that is productive and leads somewhere; all I see with Beasley is demeaning verbal assault that compounds an already shaky chemistry issue. Not to mention his egotistical “I might go for 50, seriously” comment. Come on. You can think it and it might even be true on most occasions, but why on earth would you say something like that? In the NBA, bragging and talking sh*t is the norm and it gets you that media attention that many want. In college, bulletin board material is bad. Period.

Here’s the deal. Beasley and Walker are professional players that are stuck in a college game situation. I think they have both already moved on to the next level in their heads, and the K-State program is suffering because of it. If Frank Martin and Co. can wrangle them back in instill the college game mentality (unselfish team play), K-State can play with anyone in the nation. There is no doubt. But until then, the Wildcats will live and unfortunately, die, by the hostile, individual and overconfident play of Beasley and Walker.

No comments:

NCAA BASKETBALL BLOG FEEDS