2/12/08

This Memphis Hype is Killing Me

OK, Raise you hand... who (besides me) is over the Memphis hype yet? You're all my pals, so I got to be honest with you. I'm not saying Memphis isn't good, they are good, I just don't think they are as Michael Buffer would say..."The undisputed heav-y weight champ-ion of the wooorrrrlllld!" just yet.

I mean seriously every night on ESPN, every Monday when the polls come out, every stinkin' time I read the internet, or watch college basketball anywhere, there is a mention of Memphis and we have to continually stomach the media hype that is being shoved down our throats. Don't believe me? Just Google Memphis and Undefeated...you'll see.
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7760246/Memphis-still-unanimous-No.-1-in-AP-poll

Sure, they are a talented and still undefeated team, but this is what gets me. CONFERENCE PLAY! While the ACC, Big East, Big XII, Big-10 and PAC-10 have numerous top 25 teams that confinually beat each other up in conference play (see last week's UNC-Duke game, and the Texas-KU game last night), Memphis is receving all this high praise and glory for beating the likes of conference foes SMU and UCF. Guess what? They should beat those teams. They're not good!

Conference play is where rivalry and emotion come into play. In good conferences, great teams lose, and average teams win just because of emotion alone. Bad teams usually just lose regardless who they are playing, and it looks to me like the Conference-USA is a bad conference that has Memphis at the top and a whole bunch of other really bad teams. I would venture to say that North Carolina, Kansas, Duke and UCLA could probably go undefeated in that weak conference too.

I'm not trying to get on Memphis' case, this isn't about them. They actually scheduled a very good non-con schedule already beating teams like UCONN, Georgetown, Arizona, and Gonzaga, and they can't help the mediocre at best conference they are in. Plus, all they are doing is winning. This is about story after story after story about Memphis' undefeated season. I mean seriously, we all know they are winning, but their record is tainted by the weak conference schedule. End of story.

Media People,
Please let's consider the poor conference and squash this annoying- undefeated, unamiously awesome, greatest-team-in-the-world talk.

If someone in a major conference, with a difficult non-con schedule manages to go undefeated, then I'll be impressed. But until then... please, please, do me a favor and tone down the hype. It's making me nauseous.

1 comment:

Damage_96 said...

KU vs UCF ... would it be on the road? I may have concerns.

NCAA BASKETBALL BLOG FEEDS